Posts Tagged ‘handmade’
My sparkly friend Mary inherited some fabulous fibers, metallic threads, silks, and embroidery flosses among other things and she offered to share them with me. How could I refuse? I had to make her something…something “her”. At first it was going to be earrings but that didn’t honor the origination point. See, these fibers were inherited from a special lady (her sister in law) in the family whom had passed. Earrings would not do, not alone. So I decided on a cuff that could incorporate some of the fibers to honor the one whom had owned them, have her presence in the piece as well. Let the creative process begin…PHOTOS OF THE PROCESS:
Here is the letter that came with the bracelet…. The earrings were made similarly by hand cutting copper sheet metal, heating with a torch to soften (annealing) and then hammering, polishing and layering with molded polymer clay that was was hand painted and sealed.PHOTOS of the FINISH:
I must begin with a confession…I found Art Jewelry for the first time last week. I looked around and was like YES!!! I’m totally going to get inspired by a Boot Camp! I guess I didn’t search back far enough into the posts…I kinda missed the part about “balled” head pins. I was looking at the post about inspirational headpins more recently and I saw some in polymer clay and thought “Heck ya! That’s for me!” so I spent all day Sunday making headpins. Then…
I saw the post on Monday talking about “balled” headpins.
So I spent all of Monday balling headpins to wrap around my headpins. It was the best mistake I ever made! So, here are my headpins using balled headpins. This was so fun!
I started by making some faux turquoise polymer headpins. I was inspired by some of the glass headpins when I searched around Etsy so after curing I added a layer of resin. I learned a lot about resin. I learned that the Pavelka brand at Michael’s yellows easily and is too thick and goopy for anything round. I have used that brand before on flat items and liked how it settled evenly though. I did end up switching to some that I had on hand from Epoxies Etc. It was easier to brush on in thin layers and it didn’t yellow. It actually seemed harder when cured but that may have been because it was thinner.
After those little do-hickeys were done I wanted to do something gardeney (totally not a word, I know) so I grabbed my green blends and started making little curls. I left some matte and gave some resin finish.
I moved onto a Renaissance feeling and wanted to try my hand at forming little caps with clay. Stamping them was interesting. They remind me of little mushrooms. I left these matte.
Then, I moved onto beachy stuff. Yup, I was on a fancy beach in my mind.
I used some enamel that I had to cover over the ends of the copper head pins on some of these hearts. I learned that I did not clean the copper well before enameling and the enamel chipped of easily.
Then, I wanted to use a metal eyelet normally used for cold connections as my center tube and this little flower grew right out of that experiment.
THEN….some more stuff happened at my bench.
You can see them in the gallery below. I won’t post ALL the photos up here.
I do want to thank Staci Louise for putting on this fabulously stimulating challenge and give you all a link to the main page. http://www.lovemyartjewelry.blogspot.com/2013/02/art-jewelry-boot-camp-balled-headpin.html